Friday, October 4, 2013

The first day of PKP July 1, 2012


Wow I've been practically exploring and (getting lost) in Cambridge for the past few days so it's been a few days since I've actually said anything. Lets see here, after getting my keys and cards, I proceeded to find my hostel on Trumpington Street. The fact that my room was on the top floor.........yeah kind of made me realize that as a girl packing wise bringing a lot of clothing/ making the luggage too heavy might bite you back because you have to bring your luggage up the stairs too......but besides that I LOVE my room. It's pretty spacious, there's a sink, and simple. The best part I get an AMAZING view of the Fitzwilliam Museum!

My lovely room in Trumpington hostel. Wow it came with mints.



When I look outside. This is the view I see. Fitzwilliam Museum!!!
After settling in, I proceeded to head to King's College and get my welcoming packet. After getting my welcoming packet I met a few PKP folks, Chelsea and Cherry socialized and drank some tea :) That was awesome. Afterwards I went to Boots on Kings Street to shop and wow my mind was blown. Kings Street and the Marketplace is a shopaholic's dream.  For example the Market place is like a European Square combined with an Asian nightmarket with many stores, shops, and things to do. There's soo many coffee shops and ice shops (icecream) that I might end up becoming broke if I go on a shopping spree there. Also you make a few turns and suddenly you'll see "Lion's yard", a mini outdoor two story shopping mall.

At the PKP Welcome Dinner, I'm not going to lie the moment I first saw King College's Dining Hall I geeked out: OH MY GOD IT'S LIKE THE DINING HALL OF HARRY POTTER MOVIES!!!

Ok, so after that geeky moment I got food, sat with random people and proceeded to chat and introduce myself. Turns out when you're studying abroad from my observation people are more open and empathetic because they're in the same situation as you: homesick, having no idea what to expect etc. Of course everyone's going to ask "What school you came from, what year you're in etc." but honestly, I had a wonderful time talking about sleep deprivation, getting lost coming to Cambridge etc. At the formal dinner Greg, Carlos, Nick and a few other directors of the programme spoke, and I swear being welcomed really made me feel like I was going to Hogwarts. Afterwards, I made new friends: Katharine, Jason, and Sesenu. We proceeded to explore Cambridge, and randomly talk. Later we went to a sports pub, and on the second floor watched Spain kick Italy's bottom in football (soccer for Americans) on TV.  For sports fanatics who are wondering, yes people do show spirit and paint their faces etc. Also saw some Japanese students, and we wanted to ask if they were from PKP Program but they didn't want to respond in English, so I proceeded to speak in Japanese. I think the Japanese students, Jason, and Katharine were dumbfounded by the fact that I could speak Japanese. I also tried ale for the first time and finally found a beer I enjoy and shared with Katharine because we can only drink so much: Hobgoblin.

I don't want to make a complete judgment yet, but I think I may have just found my closest group of friends in PKP.

Seriously I think PKP should totally use this for their advertisement. why? Diversity of people :)

Also the purple lanyard I have in that picture holds cards to get you access to King College's Library, Pembroke College's library, Pembroke College, King's College in general or food points. Wow cards...I think I'm going to feel like a spy or something because you have to flash the cards at the sensors to enter, and I know we don't have that at UCI so I have to say... how cool is that?

Ok so that was the amazing first day!

Note: If I don't get around to updating this blog anytime soon I will probably upload it in the future so just look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment