Friday, October 4, 2013

Exploring Cambridge First "Official" day July 2nd.

Ok I know I didn't exactly get around to sharing my adventures, and I did write little notes before so I do remember what happened. Anyways these are my thoughts then and also some now.

Monday July 2, 2012

Today I went to Cambridge Union Society Building (CUS) and proceeded to listen to a variety of speakers (including the ones I mentioned in my past post) speak about Cambridge University welcoming PKP students. Few things about Cambridge Union Society that I learned:

Did you know?
1. It's the largest society in Cambridge University itself and that oldest continually operating debating society in the World, and has developed a reputation as for free speech and open debate.
2. Cambridge University doesn't contact speakers, speakers actually have to contact the Cambridge Union Society to speak. Past speakers have included: Winston Churchhill, Stephen Hawking, and Dalai Lama.

Here's the sign entrance.

Wow Needless to say I'm dumbfounded. Seriously, the more I learn about Cambridge the more I want to apply here for graduate school.

Afterwards I proceeded to meet more people, and took tours of the Pembroke College Library, King's College Library, and finding out where my classes are/ trying not to get lost.

Pembroke College Library and King's College Library Induction:
Ok so the tours weren't as interesting; however, both libraries are SPECTACULAR.You walk into the Pembroke College Library and you are greeted by murals, and doors with rows of books everywhere. The only thing that makes me sad is the fact that the library opens from 9AM - 9PM  =\ not too ideal for studying but hey it is dead silent at least. The second floor of Pembroke College Library looks like a mini library from the beginning and middle of beauty and the beast.

Pembroke Library's Interior reminds me of his + Beast's Library.

Well....maybe not completely. here's an image of the interior if anyone's interested.
Still gorgeous though right? (All rights of the photo belongs to Pembroke College, University of Cambridge respectfully.)
Exterior of Pembroke College library:
Gorgeous! I wished UCI libraries were like this.


King's College Library: you take a staircase up and are greeted by an odd dragon statue. There's a second door which you need your ID to get in. The King's College Library is similar to the Pembroke College Library. To me interior wise it does remind me more of the scene in Beauty and the Beast library. One of the perks I love about the King's College Library: it's open 24/7! and like the Pembroke College Library it's dead silent. Hello new study place!~
The dragon statue I'm talking about.

Library interior
I don't think King's College photo does the library justice of how beautiful this library is but it's all I could find at the moment. (All rights of this photo belongs to King's College, Cambridge University respectfully.)


Ok, so after that I proceeded to walk around and find my other classes, 2 of my classes are in King's College. "The Marriage of Spirit and Matter" in King's Art Room, and Management and Business Ethics seminar in the Munby Room. The good news: both classrooms are next to each other. The bad news: stairs. I had a complete Harry Potter moment finding these classes: I now know what it's like to be Ron or Harry rushing up to go to Dividends class because of the 2 huge swerving stone and marble flights of stairs. At least they don't move like Hogwarts's stairs?

Multiple stair cases.

So my other class for this module, Management and Business Ethics is being held in the Dining Room in CUS so that's not too hard to find. Class has not yet started, but I'm super excited and can't wait for my first class.

Side note of choosing housing: I chose to stay at Trumpington Hostel. I love Trumpington Hostel and its proximity to the Fitzwilliam Museum. For those who are interested in choosing housing location for your stay during the PKP programme, don't be like me and choose your housing close the proximity of Fitzwilliam Museum. I mean if you want to choose places like Trumpington Hostel or Garden Hostel etc for cheaper housing that's a good reason, but please be aware that your classes maybe anywhere from .4-1 mile + away. Also may involve a bunch of staircases everywhere. so BE AWARE! On a positive note: I think I may lose weight during my stay from all the walking I'm predicting I'll be doing.

Until next time, Cheers!

-Tina 

No comments:

Post a Comment